It’s priceless!

It’s 2.30 in the morning, and I really don’t know whether I should write this, but I just couldn’t help myself from putting down my thoughts on paper… and this is about a movie that is yet to be officially released in India… Yes, it’s about Slumdog Millionaire.

Now , this isn’t a review. This is just an extension of the overwhelming emotions that this film has evoked inside me. I have just finished watching this movie, and this undoubtedly, and I am ready to put my head on the block, is the best film that I’ve ever seen. This is the best movie ever made in/about India.

I have never ever seen any film in which the essence of the nation has been captured in a better manner, and yes, I have never ever seen such innovative cinema. Although, I know that this film is based on a book, it just reinstated my belief that Cinema is the highest form of art. Everything about this movie is better than what has ever been, and probably will ever be.
This is superlative cinema.
The narrative is fabulous. The film flows in the stream of consciousness form, and is journey of a gali ka kutta from the slums of Bombay, into the glitz and glamour of modern Mumbai. The screenplay is taut, and seems to speak the language of music…the rhythm starts slowly only to develop into a crescendo at the climax. This is text book cinema, and yet, it breaks new grounds in film-making. The film has captured the ever changing topography of the country, and has been able to paint the most realistic portrait of history, although this is a work of fiction. Long time ago, I had read a maxim which said,’ Nothing is true in history except names and dates, and everything is true in literature except names and dates’, and this film stands in testimony to that.

Slumdog Millionaire is a treatise/tribute on/to India, it’s diversity, it’s idiosyncracies and it’s hysteria. This is what cinema should be, and this is what cinema will be. I shall write no more…I can write no more. You have to watch this film to understand what going on inside me. Just a word of caution…it is a film alright, but don’t treat it like one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment